IGCS is partnered with Globe-athon to End Women’s Cancers to align advocacy efforts.
Globe-athon is an international movement and “call to action for groups, healthcare professionals, survivors and the lay public to unify global efforts in the common goal of fostering public awareness and education about gynecologic cancer.”
In this effort, we are coordinating efforts with IGCS membership and Globe-athon followers to organize and harmonize awareness events across the globe in an unprecedented effort raise awareness of women’s cancers.
We strongly encourage IGCS members willing and able to support advocacy efforts in their respective country to please contact Dr. Larry Maxwell directly at email@example.com.
Opportunities to host or participate in Globe-athon’s worldwide grassroots movements
Organize and Plan Awareness Events in September, 2019:
With September being Gynecologic Cancer Awareness Month (GCAM) and the month of the IGCS 2019 meeting, Dr. Larry Maxwell and other members of Globe-athon leadership hope to work together with health care providers, patients, survivors, families, advocates and activists across the globe to schedule advocacy and educational events between September 1-18, 2019.
These events can be small or they can be extensive…the effort is what counts. Through education, advocacy and activism, we have the ability to empower women on an international scale. We advocate that organizers reach out to policy makers, Ministry of Health, and industry to help support the event(s) and recruit celebrities, professional organizations and advocacy groups to promote them.
- Globe-athon is launching the “She Matters” Music Festival in 2019 and encouraging partners worldwide to consider organizing a musical event, festival or concert between September 1-18, 2019. We have already started working on several premier events with countries around the world and would be excited to discuss details with groups that have an interest in this type of event.
- Alternatively, Globe-athon can help you organize a walk, run, seminar or other event that assembles large groups of survivors, families, and the general public.
Participate in Awareness Events & Social Media Initiatives:
- IGCS Global Meeting: Those planning to attend the international meeting in Rio de Jainero, please plan to participate the advocacy events and walk/run that will be taking place during the meeting.
- Viral Video: Globe-athon is soliciting videos and photos from members, survivors, and others who want to help create and spread awareness of women’s cancers. The 2019 Video Campaign will be a global lip synch to Bob Marley’s “Get Up, Stand Up” and will be used as a call to action for women worldwide to stand up for their rights to access equal healthcare, particularly for cancers that strike “below the belt.” Instructions on how you can participate will be made available in the coming weeks.
- Social Media: Please follow Globeathon on social media and start spreading awareness to your patients, colleagues, friends, and families on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram and YouTube.
Education for Community Advocates and the Public
- Patient advocates and educators: Globe-athon is working to standardize elements of an instructional series aimed at educating community advocates in regions worldwide. These resources will be circulated over the next few months and formally presented at international meetings over the next year.
- Survivor population: Globe-athon has worked with experts to develop educational videos for the lay public in English and other languages and is currently seeking volunteers to create content and translate current material into other languages. If members are interested in developing educational videos for patients, survivors and the general public regarding women’s cancer prevention, treatment or other topics, please email Dr. Larry Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org. Please go to https://globeathon.com/our-work/educational-lectures/ for examples.